Basic sourdough care: To feed your culture, add flour and water then let it set out at room temperature for an hour. If you don’t want to use it soon, keep it in the refrigerator. If you want to use it, put a portion in the refrigerator and use the rest for your recipe.Print
The most delicious English Muffins are those that are homemade. Sourdough gives it a delightful tang.
- sourdough culture
- 1/2 cup butter
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
The evening before making, grow the sourdough. Mix the following and let set out all night.
- 1 cup of sourdough culture that is the consistency of pancake batter
- 3 cups flour
- 1 1/2 cup of warm water
The next day:
- Melt butter, add salt and milk.
- Add butter mixture to muffin dough; stir.
- Add 3 cups of flour and baking soda to dough.
- Knead, adding flour as needed.
- Divide dough in two.
- Roll out one portion to 1/2 inch thick. Cut 4-inch diameter muffins. Place on baking sheets that have been sprayed and cornmeal sprinkled over.
- Let rise 3-5 hours, depending on how warm your kitchen is.
- Preheat pancake griddle to medium heat.
- Spray griddle and place muffins on griddle. Cook each side for 6-8 minutes.
- Cool on wire racks.
add to dough:
- 3 cups flour
Serve sliced with butter and honey or jam. Serve sliced and toasted. Make breakfast sandwiches.
A family lunch favorite:
- Slice English Muffins, lay openface on a baking sheet
- Spread with a Tablespoon of mayonnaise
- Top with a slice of onion and a slice of cheddar cheese
- Broil until the cheese is melted