This is a simple French bread recipe with a crispy crust. If you make it in the morning it will be cool enough to slice in the afternoon and then slather with butter and garlic and popped into a hot oven to get toasty. If you make it in the afternoon, it will be warm and chewy for supper, still delicious! Serve with butter or dip in little bowls of extra virgin olive oil with a sprinkle of oregano and sea salt.Print
This recipe makes two easy and delicious French bread loaves. It is delicious with any meal but especially Italian food. The crust is crispy and crunchy, the center is chewy.
- 2 1/2 teaspoons yeast
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 2 cups very warm water
- 6 cups bread flour
- cornmeal to sprinkle on pans under the bread
- 1 egg white combined with 1 Tablespoon water
- Combine warm water and yeast in the mixer bowl and let set until frothy.
- Add 2 cups of flour and salt, mix. Let set for 10 minutes.
- Add the rest of the flour and knead for 10 minutes until smooth and elastic.
- Place dough into a greased bowl and let rise until double.
- Grease a baking sheet and sprinkle cornmeal over.
- Punch dough down and shape into long loaves.
- Place loaves onto baking sheet.
- Brush loaves with egg white mixture.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Cover with damp cloth and let rise until double.
- With a very sharp knife or razor blade, slash 4-5 14 inch deep cuts into top of each loaf.
- Bake for 20 minutes. Remove and brush with egg white mixture again.
- Bake for an additional 15-20 minutes.
- Remove from pans and cool on racks.