Whole House Overhaul in 6 Weeks: Week 5
Week 5: Bedrooms
Say hello to Week 5 of the Whole House Overhaul! This week we’re going to focus on bedrooms. If you’re just joining us, or missed Week 1 through 4 of the Whole House Overhaul in 6 Weeks, catch up here.
Bedrooms can be a tricky area. They are a personal space, depending on the personality and age of the occupant/s. Children of different ages may want to do the cleaning on their own, some may not care at all, and some will need help. Consider these factors before you begin. It may be helpful to give each person that is helping with this project a list of cleaning tasks. You can find a list of cleaning tasks for the bedroom in the Free Resource Library.
This week we’re adding extra deep cleaning and organizing in the bedroom to the normal weekly cleaning, as part of the Whole House Overhaul in 6 Weeks.
We’re going to work top to bottom and left to right. Cleaning in this orderly method helps to keep focused.
Collect any trash and remove, then remove anything that doesn’t belong in the bedrooms and put it in its rightful place. If something does not have a designated place then assign one.
Next, it’s time to deep clean the bedrooms.
- Start with catching cobwebs.
- Next, clean the light fixtures and change the burned out bulbs.
- Dust the walls, baseboards and doors.
- Wash the windows, curtains, blinds.
- Clear off the tops of all flat surfaces.
- Sort through the dressers and arrange items neatly.
- Clean out the closet and arrange appropriately.
- Dust and organize shelves and arrange items in a pleasing way.
- Vacuum the mattress, pillows, cushions and fabric of upholstery. Remove stains.
- Vacuum the floor. Move the furniture and bed to vacuum underneath. Use an edge attachment to vacuum around the edges of the room.
- Rearrange the room if you need to, want to, or discover a better layout.
- Look around for anything that would make the room more usable and make a list of shopping items.
You’ve got this!
By following these steps you can give the bedrooms in your home the reboot they need! By making the bedroom a clean and organized room you will be able to enjoy the space, and have a more relaxing atmosphere for sleep. To make this task easier for you, I’ve created a checklist in the resource library.
For more home management solutions, check out the book. Home Management: Plain and Simple, is a book written for women just like you! In it, you will find the tips and hacks you need to better manage your home management situation. Get the book here.