Sometimes the busy days can get the best of us and the mess and the dirt can creep up on us. Learn shortcut cleaning techniques and your life will become more pleasant.
The dirt situation is temporary, we’ll get ahead of the game someday, but in the meantime, here is a short guide for you.
It’s a plan for getting ahead here and there, little bits at a time.
It’s manageable, you can do it, and it will lift your spirits.
Sometimes it’s a small thing that can get the ball rolling and spur you on to do more. And sometimes, reality is that the cleaning time really is five minutes here or ten minutes there.
Shortcut Cleaning, Your Home Management Hacks
- Wash only the dirtiest windows, often the one above the kitchen sink.
- Wash only the dirtiest parts of the windows, leave the parts that are covered by blinds or drapes.
- Use a hair blow dryer to dust books, knick-knacks, chandeliers, and wall art.
- Vacuum only in the high traffic areas or the room that gets used most frequently.
- Spot mop the floor with a spray bottle of cleaner and a paper towel.
Shortcut Cleaning is still cleaning your house, it’s just maybe not the same way that your grandma did things… or is it?
- In the refrigerator, lay a paper towel in the bottom of the crisper drawer or the door shelf to catch drips.
- For a load of cold and wrinkled laundry still in the dryer, throw in a clean wet towel and tumble on medium heat for several minutes.
- For a load left in the washer too long, add a cup of vinegar and rerun the rinse cycle.
- Keep a stain stick in the bathrooms to use on clothes immediately after removal. Keep one in the kitchen for use on the little children’s clothes that got messy at mealtime.
- Put dishwashing liquid on grease stains. I think that Dawn is most effective.
Don’t fall prey to TV commercials and magazine ads, who made them the boss of how to do things right? You clean your house your way.
- Keep mail in a pretty basket or drawer rather than a pile so that it’s not a kitchen eyesore. (This is temporary! Deal with mail quickly or you may miss out on income or have late payments!)
- Collect cobwebs and sweep dust bunnies only in the room that you expect to entertain.
- While cooking dinner, fill the sink with hot water and soak your prep dishes as soon as you’re done using them. This will make them easier to wash later.
- Keep up with the dishes by unloading and loading the dishwasher with every meal. Wash dishes quickly for a set amount of time or set number of dishes. Even if you only get ten done before you must quit and run, it’s better than doing nothing.
- Empty trash cans with a quick race between each one and call it exercise.
- Spray everything in the bathroom with glass cleaner. Start with the mirror and end with the toilet wiping with paper towels.
- Buy towels and bath mats in a dark color, the bathroom will appear nice for a longer period of time than with white towels that quickly appear dingy.
This is not an exhaustive list of cleaning shortcuts but it may help you if you’re in a busy time in life and need a little bit of help to see that something is better than nothing.
You can make your best days even better! Get some tools here to help you do your best!
Learn more home management hacks in my book Home Management, Plain and Simple. You can also access workbooks to help you learn how to make home management fit your specific life in the Free Resource Library.
Join the Home Plain and Simple Tribe
Get access to the Free Resource Library and get the latest content by email. The access info for the Free Resource Library will be in your email newsletter.